Hello fellow Tappers!
In November, Fox brought two worlds together, colliding, in a very special episode of The Simpsons: Simpsorama. In a look at the past, we’re going to analyze the episode with trivia, pictures and videos. Enjoy right after the jump!
Episode Description: A crossover with Futurama, the Planet Express team comes to Springfield. The plot revolves around Bender and Bart; Bender comes back from the future to kill Bart because there’s something that Bart does now that makes the future extremely bad.
Episode Details: ‘Simpsorama’ is the 6th episode of Season 26 as well as the 558th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on November 9, 2014 and was written by J. Stewart Burns.
The Simpsons and Futurama were both created by Matt Groening. There are several cast and crew members who have been on both shows, notably Tress MacNeille as various voices, Dan Castellaneta who voiced the Robot Devil in all but one of his appearances and Maurice LaMarche as various voices again. John DiMaggio previously appeared as Bender in the episode “Future-Drama” and The Simpsons Game whilst Billy West appeared as Zoidberg in The Simpsons Game. During an event called “The Mathematical Secrets of The Simpsons and Futurama” in the Science Museum of London, a clip from the episode featuring Homer and Bender hitting Bart was shown.
The recording started on September 19, 2013. Some scenes were based on the comic Futurama/Simpsons Infinitely Secret Crossover Crisis.
TIE-IN!: A tie-in for The Simpsons: Tapped Out has been released, with Matt Groening, the Writer’s Building and the Mutant Rabbit.
COUCH GAG!: The couch turns into Hedonismbot, all the Simpsons stand up except Homer who gets comfortable lying on Hedonismbot.
- The episode name is a combination of Simpsons and Futurama.
- The episode’s plot seems to be based on that of the Star Trek episode “The City on the Edge of Forever”, the writer of which, Harlan Ellison, was credited for the synopsis by Al Jean after the episode’s announcement.
- Ellison also voiced himself in the Married to the Blob episode from season 25.
- A billboard can be seen that reads The eBook Of Mormon, a reference to the musical The Book of Mormon.
- In a scene with the mutant rabbits, Binky the rabbit and Bongo from Matt Groening’s comic Life in Hell can be seen writing “Crossovers are Hell” on a wall.
- Moe refers to Bender as “blade rummy”, a reference to the 1982 film Blade Runner.
- Homer says he owes Clash of Candies $20,000, a reference to Clash of Clans and Candy Crush Saga.
- The mutant creatures mutation resembles the hatching of the alien from Alien.
- A February 3014 calendar featuring a photo of the Professor with long hair and in a swimsuit is seen. The photo resembles Farrah Fawcett’s iconic 1976 poster.
- The Tesla Building is a reference to the Chrysler Building, in Manhattan, and Tesla Motors, an electric car manufacturer.
- Madison Cube Garden hits an FXXX satellite, a reference to the FOX channels FX and FXX.
- In the mash up opening sequence, Darth Maul from Star Wars is mentioned in a sign, as Sideshow Maul.
- There is a comic book reprint called Simpsons Comics Simpsorama, which was released in 1996.
- Kang and Kodos’ last names are revealed to be Johnson, and they’re a lesbian couple.
- Despite being the main character in Futurama, Fry only plays a minor role in the crossover, with only four lines.
- Things seen in the opening sequence mash up:
- The Statue of Liberty is replaced with the Lard Lad statue, but in the style of Morbo’s species.
- “RENT A SMITHERS” in Alienese
- Buzz Cola – “With cocaine again!”
- The Android’s Penthouse – “Take me to your comic books & baseball cards”
- Duff Holo Beer – “All the rage but none of the calories”
- A flying version of Blinky
- Re-elect Mayor Quimby-Head
- FFI – Freeze Frame Industries
- Milhouse of Ill Repute
- Kang and Kodos’ 8-Tentacle Massage
- Prof. Frink’s Carbon Dating Service
- Stonecutters World HQ
- “EAT MY SHORTS” in Alienese
- Park ‘n’ Dent
- The Krusty the Clown Show with Mr. Teeny 1,521 and Sideshow Maul.
- “CONGRATULATIONS YOU’RE A NERD” in Alienese
- D’oh Bots
- Moe’s Unfriendly Bar – “No humans or robots”
- Green Luigi’s Authentic – “Martian-Italian cuisine”
- Howard’s Flowers
- A statue of Ralph Wiggum, showing his birth date as 2006 and death date as 2017.
- A future Ned is seen with Mom’s hairstyle.
- Scruffy sweeping the streets without a head after shooting himself references the Futurama episode Law and Oracle where it was revealed that Scruffy somehow died and was reconstructed as a zombie.
- The February 3014 calendar was previously seen being created in the Futurama episode “Neutopia”.
- Bart’s birthday is said to be on February 23rd. However, his official birthday is on April 1st, as stated in The Bart Book.
- This may not be so much a goof as it is a reference to the popularized rumor that Bart’s birthday was on February 23rd.
Billy West as Philip J. Fry, Professor Farnsworth and Zoidberg
Katey Sagal as Leela
John DiMaggio as Bender Rodríguez
Phil LaMarr as Hermes Conrad
Maurice LaMarche as Morbo and Hedonismbot
Lauren Tom as Amy Wong
Frank Welker as Nibbler
David Herman as Scruffy
Previous Episode: Opposites A-Frack
Next Episode: Blazed and Confused
That is all from this special Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it. The next post will be covering the next episode, My Fare Lady, at 3am GMT.
Just a quick remember: all Stonecutters items will expire in a little more then 6h at 8am GMT! Until next time, Happy Tapping everyone!