Hello fellow tappers!
In September of 2014, 2 months before The Simpsons and Futurama met, Fox brought two other worlds together in a special 1 hour season premiere of Family Guy titled, “The Simpsons Guy.” In a look back into the past, we’re going to analyze the episode with trivia, pictures and videos. Enjoy right after the jump!
The Simpsons Guy
Episode Description: Peter and the Griffins get out of dodge and end up in Springfield, where they are greeted by a friendly stranger named Homer Simpson, who welcomes his new “albino” friends with open arms. The families get along famously: Stewie and Bart make out like bandits when Stewie trades in his mind control device for a good old-fashioned slingshot; Lisa takes Meg under her wing and teaches her the saxophone; Marge and Lois ditch housework for a little bonding; and Peter and Homer fight over the best beer in town – Pawtucket vs. Duff.
Episode Details: ‘The Simpsons Guy’ is the 1st episode of Season 13 as well as the 232th episode of Family Guy. The episode aired on FOX on September 28, 2014 and was written by Patrick Meighan and directed by Peter Shin. This episode is considered non-canon and the events featured do not relate to the series and therefore may not have actually happened/existed.
“The Simpsons Guy” is the first official crossover episode between The Simpsons and Family Guy. However, Dan Castellaneta previously voiced Homer Simpson in the Family Guy episode “Ratings Guy” whilst Seth MacFarlane voiced Ben in the season 24 episode “Dangers on a Train”. Peter Griffin has also made a couple of appearances in The Simpsons whilst many The Simpsons characters have appeared in Family Guy.
The writers of Family Guy wrote the episode, rather than the writers of The Simpsons, although the executive producers of The Simpsons tweaked a few lines. Bob Belcher from Bob’s Burgers, Fred Flintstone from The Flintstones and Roger Smith from American Dad! also appeared in the crossover episode. Current Family Guy producer and former Simpsons producer Richard Appel is the one who proposed the idea of the crossover to The Simpsons producers. The Simpsons producers were happy with this, as long as they didn’t kill off characters and didn’t destroy Springfield.
A 5 minute sample of clips from the episode was shown at San Diego Comic-Con 2014.
- The episode is the first official crossover between The Simpsons and Family Guy.
- The name of the episode is a mixture between the two shows, with “The Simpsons” being taken from The Simpsons and “Guy” being taken from Family Guy and added to the end.
- “Pour Some Sugar On Me” by Def Leppard plays during Peter and Homer’s stolen car wash scene.
- During the courtroom scene, the Springfield characters are paired with their Quahog counterparts:
- Kent Brockman with Tom Tucker
- Bumblebee Man with Consuela
- Carl with Cleveland
- Captain McCallister with Seamus
- Mayor Quimby with Mayor Adam West
- Principal Skinner and Principal Shepherd
- Waylon Smithers, a closeted gay man, is sat next to Bruce, an openly gay man.
- A Simpsons-ized James Woods being paired with the recurring Family Guy James Woods.
- Matt Groening with Seth MacFarlane.
- Stewie claims Bart sounds like a girl. In actuality, Bart is voiced by a woman – Nancy Cartwright.
- Family Guy crew member and episode director Peter Shin worked on The Simpsons from 1990-1995 as a layout artist.
- Some of the criminals at the car wash include:
- Ms. Botz (“Some Enchanted Evening”)
- Dr. Colossus (“Who Shot Mr. Burns? (Part One)”)
- Hank Scorpio (“You Only Move Twice”)
- An image of Troy McClure from “Meat and You: Partners in Freedom” is seen outside Channel 6 Studios. (“Lisa the Vegetarian”)
- Homer tells Peter to say “hello to Maude Flanders”. (“Alone Again, Natura-Diddly”)
- When Homer and Peter are jumping Springfield Gorge with the spaceship Peter says “We’re Gonna make it!” and Homer answers “Trust me, we’re not” and then they fail. (“Bart the Daredevil”, The Simpsons Movie)
- James Woods from Springfield is next to James Woods from Quahog in the Springfield Court House. The one from Springfield mentions working in the Kwik-E-Mart. (“Homer and Apu”)
- Lisa mentions Homer giving her saxophone to her. (“Lisa’s Sax”)
- The Fortune Megastore is seen. (“Monty Can’t Buy Me Love”)
- Bobo is seen with Mr. Burns in the court house. (“Rosebud”)
Dan Castellaneta as Homer Simpson
Julie Kavner as Marge Simpson
Nancy Cartwright as Bart Simpson
Yeardley Smith as Lisa Simpson
That is all from this special Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it. The next post will be covering the next episode of The Simpsons, until next time, Happy Tapping everyone!