Hello fellow Tappers!
We just had a brand NEW episode of The Simpsons. On Sunday, May 3, 2015, Fox aired an episode called “Let’s Go Fly a Coot”. It was the 20th episode of Season 26 and the 572nd episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episode with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
Let’s Go Fly a Coot
Episode Description: The Simpsons learn about Grampa’s days in the Air Force, and Bart takes up smoking to impress Milhouse’s Dutch cousin, Annika.
Episode Details: ‘Let’s Go Fly a Coot’ is the 20th episode of Season 26 as well as the 572nd episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on May 3, 2015 and was written by Jeff Westbrook.
PRODUCTION!: Al Jean confirmed on Twitter that the episode will feature Abraham Simpson.
TITLE SCREEN!: A three-eyed crow flies by.
COUCH GAG!: Bart, Maggie, Lisa and Marge joins up on the couch in a living room made of ice, before Homer as a walrus jumps on it from the left and swallows them all up.
- When Milhouse shows Lewis the Squishee machine, Lewis’ legs are still in the walking position.
- At the party Richard’s jacket changes from blue to beige.
- The episode featured Abraham Simpson.
- The title of the episode is a reference to “Let’s Go Fly a Kite”, a song in Walt Disney’s 1964 film Mary Poppins.
- It’s been established that Abraham Simpson served in World War II but during that conflict the U.S. Air Force did not exist in its current form, it wasn’t established until 1947.
- Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles made a cd singing Happy Birthday, Milhouse. They previously performed multiple songs for the special live show The Simpsons Take the Bowl.
- The arcade game Grand Theft Walrus II, a parody of Grand Theft Auto and implied sequel to Grand Theft Walrus, is seen in the Kwik-E-Mart alongside a game called Marbury v. Madison, referring to the landmark Supreme Court case.
- The Movie The Exhaustibles 3: Arthritis Will Unite Us is a parody of The Expendables.
- Homer mentions the dystopian future movies The Hunger Games, The Edge of Tomorrow, Oblivion, Elysium, Snowpiercer, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Ender’s Game, The Road, World War Z, Children of Men, After Earth, I Am Legend, Mad Max: Fury Road, The Maze Runner, District Nine, The Purge, Looper, Cloud Atlas, Divergent, Insurgent, The Island, Mr. Burns, a Post-Electric Play and Chappie.
- Jack Kerouac gives a ride to Abraham Simpson and hands him his novel On the Road and the first draft of it and tells him to destroy the latter, but an airplane passing over him destroyed the finished work.
- The flashy red car Jack Kerouac is in is a Hudson Hornet.
- The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles make a cameo appearance during Milhouse’s party
- Homer previously enrolled and ended up impersonating Krusty at public events. (“Homie the Clown”)
- A sequel of Grand Theft Walrus, named Grand Theft Walrus II, is seen in the Kwik-E-Mart. (“The Simpsons Movie”)
- Jack Kerouac was previously mentioned in a comic story. (“Ralph the Haiku Genius”)
- The story of how Abraham Simpson met Mona Simpson is shown. (“Mother Simpson”)
- It’s revealed that Kirk and Luann Van Houten are cousins and Milhouse has a forked tongue because of it.
- Jack Kerouac’s driver has a cigarette pack held under the right sleeve of his T-shirt. It is a smaller pack than those of today, typical of the non-filtered cigarettes of the time.
- The jet Grampa flies resembles an F-104 Starfighter, a fighter the U.S. Air Force first flew in prototype form in 1956.
- Carice van Houten (born September 5, 1976) is a Dutch actress and singer. She will voice Annika Van Houten in this episode.
- Glenn Close (born March 19, 1947) is an American actress and producer. She voiced Mona Simpson in the season 7 episode “Mother Simpson”, the season 15 episode “My Mother the Carjacker”, the season 19 episode “Mona Leaves-a”, and again, as well as singing “Dream Operator” with David Byrne, in the season 23 episode “How I Wet Your Mother”. She later voiced Mona again in the season 25 episode “The Yellow Badge of Cowardge” and in this episode. Glenn Close was voted 25th in IGN’s “Top 25 Simpsons Guest Stars”.
Previous Episode: The Kids Are All Fight
Next Episode: Bull-E
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it. The next post will be covering the next episode until then, Happy Tapping everyone!