A shiny new season of The Simpsons just started this sunday! On Sunday, September 27, 2015, Fox aired “Every Man’s Dream”, the 1st episode and Season Premiere of Season 27, and the 575th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episode with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
Every Man’s Dream
Homer is diagnosed with narcolepsy — but instead of returning home with his prescription medication — he returns home drunk. He and Marge visit a marriage counselor and have a trial separation, during which Homer begins dating a 20-something.
Episode Details: ‘Every Man’s Dream’ is the 1st episode and Season Premiere of Season 27 as well as the 575th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on September 27, 2015 and was written by J. Stewart Burns and directed by Matthew Nastuk with Al Jean as show runner. This episode is considered non-canon and the events featured do not relate to the series and therefore may not have actually happened/existed.
Homer sleeps during a meltdown at the nuclear plant, which leads him to be hospitalized. A spinal tap reveals that Homer suffers from narcolepsy and gives him a medical excuse to prevent him from doing activities because of his disease, but he starts using his excuse to simply sleep and escape doing anything at all. Marge gets irritated and tells him to get his narcolepsy medication at a pharmacy.
At the pharmacy, there were four old people in front of Homer. Realizing that would take a while, he leaves to Moe‘s and returns home smelling like beer. This angers Marge, who decides to take Homer to a family therapist. But, instead of helping them, the therapist tell them to spend a little time apart followed by a divorce. So Homer leaves the house and starts living at the nuclear plant.
Lenny and Carl tell Homer that Marge changed her status to “It’s complicated” and her name on the voice mail back to Marge Bouvier (her maiden name). Homer then goes back to Moe’s and receives a call, but instead of Marge, it’s the pharmacist calling because of his medications. While getting his meds, the pharmacist (whose name is Candace) takes Homer on a date and dopes him, which leads Homer to make the one drunken mistake he never made: sleep with someone other than Marge.
From then, Candace and Homer start going out on dates and doing activities as a couple, and Candace decides to present Homer to her father, who is also with a new girlfriend: Marge. Homer tries to convince her that the pharmacist’s father is not a great man, but he proposes to Marge, which she accepts as soon as her divorce with Homer is done. At this moment, Candace reveals to Homer that she’s pregnant, but Homer wakes up back at the therapist’s room, meaning all of this was a dream.
His dream convinces Homer to became a better man for a month. He succeeds, even convincing Lisa to eat meat and Maggie to talk (or sing), but Homer wakes up at a bar during a date with Candace. Seeing everything he has lost, Homer runs back to 742 Evergreen Terrace and finds Marge having a dinner with the pharmacist’s father, which made him so depressed that he starts crying on the front yard. At this moment, Lisa opens the door saying that nothing could separate them, as they share the same blood, but she enters the house again, because her “new father” invites her to play chess and go pony shopping later.
At this moment, Marge wakes up, revealing that everything was part of her dream, and takes Homer to the family therapist again, but before she tells them the solution to their marriage, it’s revealed that the therapy is actually a tattoo on Hannah Horvath‘s back, meaning “Don’t get drunk in Brooklyn”.
PRODUCTION!: Coming soon.
RECEPTION!: The episode was watched by 3.28 million viewers.
TIE-IN!: A tie-in for The Simpsons: Tapped Out has been released, with Oedipus Rx, Homer Dog and Statue of Burns.
TITLE SCREEN!: The Simpsons family climb down from a zip line and Homer gets stuck in the middle.
COUCH GAG:! Several albums of the Beatles gets parodied by the Simpsons family and on Flabby Road they get ran over by a red Double-decker bus.
- The title of the episode is a possible reference to Walt Disney: One Man’s Dream, an interactive gallery located on Mickey Avenue in Disney’s Hollywood Studios at the Walt Disney World near Orlando, Florida.
- The couch gag have the Simpsons parodying Beatles’ albums:
- “Meet the Simpsons!” is a parody of “Meet the Beatles!“
- “A Hard D’oh’s Night” is a parody of “A Hard Day’s Night“
- “Rubber Pants” is a parody of “Rubber Soul“
- “The Yellow Album” is a parody of “The White Album” (in name) and “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” (in image). “The Yellow Album” is also a real album.
- “Flabby Road” is a parody of “Abbey Road“
- The Itchy & Scratchy Show‘s episode parodies the movie The Odd Couple.
- The craft beer “Harry Potter Porter” is a reference to Harry Potter.
- The final scene takes place in the TV series Girls, which Lena Dunham, voice actor for Candace in this episode, is a main character and creator of.
- “New World Symphony” by Antonín Dvořák is played during the episode.
- “Big City” by Spacemen 3 plays whilst Homer is on drugs.
- “What a Wonderful World” by The Clarks is sung by Maggie, while a cover by Joey Ramone plays as the end theme.
- Lisa mentions Skype.
- In the tattoo scene and the following scene, various characters appears:
- Smilin’ Joe Fission (“Homer’s Odyssey“),
- Fatov (“Boy Meets Curl“),
- Plopper (“The Simpsons Movie“),
- Lard Lad (“Treehouse of Horror VI“),
- Mr. Sparkle (“In Marge We Trust“),
- Spirit guide (“El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Jomer“),
- Clown bed (“Lisa’s First Word“),
- Devil (“Bart Gets Hit by a Car“),
- The Grumple (“Kill Gil, Volumes I & II“).
- Homer, Candace and her friend drinks at the Coffee Shop in Springfield Heights which sign was changed to “Springfield’s Best and Seattle’s Worst Coffee” (“The Blue and the Gray“).
- Fritz and Horst appear in one of the Nuclear Power Plant’s “Owner of the month” photo, after being owners in “Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk“.
- The pharmacy is a sub-division of Mom & Pop Hardware, however Pop‘s name is crossed off. (“Mom and Pop Art“)
- In the “Owner of the month” photo, Fritz has gray hair, even though he had orange hair during “Burns Verkaufen der Kraftwerk“.
- At Moe’s Tavern, when Homer, Lenny and Carl are watching the cartoon and talking about Homer‘s relationship, the pickled eggs jar is nowhere to be seen, only appearing when Barney plunges the comb onto it.
- Lena Dunham as Candace and Hannah Horvath
- Allison Williams as Candace’s friend 3
- Zosia Mamet as Candace’s friend 2
- Jemima Kirke as Candace’s friend 1
- Laura Ingraham as Dr. Zilowitz
- Adam Driver as Adam Sackler
Previous Episode: Mathlete’s Feat (Season 26 Finale)
Next Episode: ‘Cue Detective
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!