The new season of The Simpsons just started and this Sunday, October 11, 2015, Fox aired “Puffless”, the 3rd episode of Season 27, and the 577th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episode with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
Episode Details: ‘Puffless’ is the 3rd episode of Season 27 as well as the 577th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on October 11, 2015 and is written by J. Stewart Burns and directed by Rob Oliver with Al Jean as the show runner.
Homer, Bart, Lisa, Maggie and Grampa are watching television when Marge turns off the TV and tells them that it’s her mother’s 80th birthday and the family should visit her, but Homer doesn’t want to go, claiming that the Bouviers hate him, but he ends up going anyway. At Jacqueline‘s house, she reveals that her husband, Clancy, died because of lung cancer. This information shocks Patty and Selma, who decide to quit smoking once for all.
At the DMV, Patty realizes how hard it is to quit smoking after years of addiction and having a stroke. She also realizes that Selma is not affected by the sudden change of habits and decides to consult Dr. Hibbert. At the hospital, Patty discovers that Selma relapsed 10 minutes after quitting smoking. They fight and Patty moves to the Simpsons’ house for a while.
Homer gets annoyed by Patty‘s snoring and walks into the bathroom while she’s taking a bath (which makes him spill bleach on his and Bart‘s eyes). At the apartment, Selma had to make a hard choice: Quit smoking and reconcile with Patty or carry on smoking and lose her sister’s respect. She decides to quit smoking and they both reconcile.
On a secondary plot, Maggie befriends a squirrel, who introduces her to other animals, such as an owl, a possum and a parrot (which is revealed to be Duffman‘s parrot). Cletus captures the possum for dinner and puts the captive animal under a dog’s surveillance. Maggie makes a plan (with a little help from Plopper, the Spider-Pig) to fight against the Spucklers and free the possum.
PRODUCTION!: A large chunk of the episode will involve Maggie meeting various animals after climbing onto the roof of the house. It appeared in a different animation style.
RECEPTION!: The episode was watched by 3.31 million viewers.
TITLE SCREEN!: The Grand Pumpkin appears and walks to the left.
COUCH GAG:! The Simpsons come in as cars: Homer as a caravan, Lisa as an electric car, Marge as a five doors van and Bart as a low-rider. Lisa connects to the charger, and when everyone gets on the couch, Maggie as a monster truck crushes them and sucks on her pacifer.
- The episode title is a pun on the season 4 episode “Duffless” and a reference to Patty and Selma’s decision to quit smoking.
- The song played by Yo-Yo Ma is the Prelude to the Six suites for unaccompanied cello by Johann Sebastian Bach.
- The Yo-Yo Diet is a reference to the Yo-yo effect.
- Webdr.com is a reference to WEBMD.
- For the first time, a couch gag is shown during a non-recap episode.
- The music that plays when Spider Pig appears is his theme from The Simpsons Movie.
- The popular American war song “When Johnny Comes Marching Home” plays when the animals are preparing themselves for their battle against the Spucklers.
- When Cletus‘ dog knocks one of the birds to the ground, a squirrel reacts to it saying “Black Hawk down!”, a reference to the Black Hawk utility helicopter and the movie Black Hawk Down.
- The song “Together Forever” by Rick Astley plays during the small montage showing Patty and Selma smoking during different phases of their lives (and after their deaths) at the end of the episode.
- Mr. Burns already declared he’s in love with Jaqueline, stealing her from Grampa once. (“Lady Bouvier’s Lover“)
- Lady Laramie Cigarettes appears. (“Lisa the Beauty Queen“)
- A list of Selma‘s ex-husbands is shown on her phone:
- Spider-Pig appears. (“The Simpsons Movie“)
- Maggie‘s plan’s subtitles breaks the fourth wall: After securing the perimeter, the ground troops will advance and reinforce flanks, as the aerial units will soften their defenses. Then we shall advance in a pincer moment to infiltrate the compound and liberate our friend. If you’ve read all of this, congratulations, you’re a genius!
- Whenever Homer used bleach it was never seen in the original airing on Sky1, nor Reruns.
- Also Homer was never seen going in the shower with Patty inside.
- It is revealed that Clancy Bouvier died of lung cancer. In Jazzy and the Pussycats, Homer makes a reference to Clancy Bouvier being dead by saying “I know I will use that white noise machine I got you, when your father died.” while he was in bed with Marge.
Previous Episode: ‘Cue Detective
Next Episode: Halloween of Horror
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!