Season 28 just started, and the second episode just aired! This Sunday, October 2nd, 2016, Fox aired “Friends and Family“, the 2nd episode of Season 28 and the 598th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episode with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
Friends and Family
Mr. Burns hires the Simpsons to play his live-in virtual reality family, but excludes Homer so that he may play dad. Now alone, Homer finds a new best friend in girl-next-door Julia, who eats, drinks and thinks like him.
Episode Details: ‘Friends and Family’ is the 2nd episode of Season 28 as well as the 598th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on October 2nd, 2016 and was written by J. Stewart Burns and directed by Lance Kramer.
BILLBOARD TEXT!: Dr. Nick Riviera Tell me what, and I’ll cut
BLACKBOARD TEXT!: I will stop losing 50% of my NFL lead-in
COUCH GAG!: Someone is transforming the Simpsons family in emoji for their myPhone, but Homer doesn’t fit because he’s too fat. Switching to the myPad doesn’t help either, so the mysterious character hits Homer with a hammer till he’s unconscious.
To deal with anger issues Mr. Burns goes to his psychiatrist, but due to his anger, Dr. Nussbaum tells Burns he’ll never have a family, giving up on his case after seven years. After Burns leaves, the doctor dies. At his funeral the Simpsons starts arguing, also remembering their last family therapy, in which Maggie talks but noone is hearing. Meanwhile Burns shows the tombstone funded by him for the doctor, however the writing on it says “Paid for by C. Montgomery Burns”, angering everyone and making Burns and Smithers escape.
On their car, Smithers runs over Professor Frink, who was wearing an Oculus, attending his Nobel Prize ceremony. After trying the Oculus on the ambulance, Burns takes it home and has some fun, with the VR being programmed by Smithers. Smithers reminds him however that the doctor told him he needs a family, but Burns denies, so Smithers suggests creating a family by programming one on Virtual Reality.
At the auditions for the family, the Simpsons stand out the most, so they all get hired except for Homer due to the fact that Burns wants to be the father, and he’s sent home. During the recordings, Burns like the family so much he hires them for ten years and gives them a shack in the garden of his mansion.
Home alone, Homer misses his family at first, but then realizes he can do what he wants. Laying naked on the roof of the house at night, he meets Julia, his neighbor, which shares what he loves and hates, like beer and Ned Flanders, and they become friends.
Meanwhile at the mansion, the family gets tired of the job and starts hating Burns. Burns realizes that having a family doesn’t suit him and gives up, firing them. When Marge gets back home, she finds Homer hanging up the phone on Julia and finds out what happened with her during her absence. She gets really mad at him, even more when Julia enters the house, however Julia‘s words make her realise they were just friend.
- Homer watches the entire collection of the Police Academy movies on TV.
- Mr. Burns reads Men’s Health and other magazines parody of it.
- Maggie, Lisa and Bart are made to be look like Mr. Burns‘, Zoidberg‘s, Abraham Lincoln‘s and Mr. Potato Head‘s children.
- Homer references Snoopy while naked on the roof in Snoopy‘s usual position on top of his dog house.
- Marge references Spider-Man saying “My spouse senses are tickling”, referencing his phrase “My spider senses are tingling”.
- Homer and Julia try to eat spaghetti like Lady and the Tramp.
- The Wilhelm scream is heard in Hell.
- The Oculus Frink is a reference to the Oculus Rift.
- The song that plays when Homer is home alone and during the ending is “I Feel Free” by Cream.
- Witch Marge, Patty and Selma appear on the title screen. (“Treehouse of Horror VIII“)
- The Simpsons are shown taking family therapy again. (“Family Therapy“, “There’s No Disgrace Like Home“)
- Maggie talks. (“Lisa’s First Word“)
- The Absolut Krusty bottles on the shelf behind Moe disappear between scenes.
- The door at Dr. Nussbaum‘s office changes from brown to white between scenes.
- Burns’ Bucket list:
- Outlive all friends (just beeing checked)
- Bench press 3 pounds (checked)
- Launch Eiffel Tower into space (checked)
- Woo rockette (checked)
Previous Episode: Monty Burns’ Fleeing Circus (Season 28 Premiere)
Next Episode: The Town
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!