After a week pause, this Sunday, November 6th, 2016, Fox aired “There Will Be Buds“, the 6th episode of Season 28 and the 602nd episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episode with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
There Will Be Buds
Homer gets roped into coaching the kids’ lacrosse team with Milhouse‘s dad, Kirk, who is in desperate need of a friend. When Kirk gets too clingy, Homer vents about how much of a loser he is. Kirk overhears his rant and disappears, right when the team needs him most: the championship game.
Episode Details: ‘There Will Be Buds’ is the 6th episode of Season 28 as well as the 602nd episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired FOX on November 6th, 2016 and was written by Matt Selman and directed by Matthew Faughnan with Matt Selman and Al Jean as showrunners. The episode was dedicated in memory of writer and producer Kevin Curran, who died on October 25, aged 59.
In early September, at the start of the pee-wee Football season, during the opening game, the field gets filled with too much smoke, and the kids start bumping into each other, with the result of having to be taken to the Hospital for concussions.
Afterwards, the people of the town reunites at Town Hall to discuss a less violent sport for the kids and everyone start proposing one, with Kirk having trouble getting people to listen to him, but Marge sends Homer to help him, and he makes a suggestion: lacrosse. The people asks Kirk to coach the kids, and he only agrees if Homer becomes his vice-coach.
At the first match the team wins, and Homer asks how Kirk did it. Kirk tells the story of how he was a star at his college’s team, but broke his wrist while hi-fiving the mascot, a guy in armor. The next day, the team is ready for a trip to a tournament in another town, and during the trip Homer realizes they’re getting too intimate.
The kids are close to forfeit due to the absence of their coach, so Homer is sent to the strip club in search of Kirk. He however gets distracted by chiken wings and is cutting close, when he hears two strippers mentioning rice burgers, the food Kirk took in the van for the trip, and finds him in the Champagne room, and manages to convince him to get back to the game, excaping the club with the help of some strippers.
- The episode title is a reference to the film There Will Be Blood.
- Kirk made a CD for the trip on the van with Big Bad Voodoo Daddy songs in it.
- During the trip, they’re listening to the song “You & Me & the Bottle Makes 3 Tonight (Baby)” by Big Bad Voodoo Daddy.
- Kirk‘s chat mentions The Godfather and Halo.
- Kirk mentions The Blues Brothers while singing and has created a website called Blues Buddies at bluesbuddies.com. He is also dressed as a Blues Brother.
- WXPO 470AM “The Pipe” is the show commentating the Lacrosse match against Capitol City.
- At the end of the episode, drunk Kirk says that “Jet fuel can’t melt steel”. This is a reference to a famous conspiracy theory around the 9/11 terrorist attacks that claims that the planes alone would not be able to take down both towers.
- Marge references Jim Harbaugh when Homer says Kirk is a sport genius that everybody hates.
- After Kirk‘s hand injury, Joe Theismann is shown throwing up into his hat. Joe Theismann suffered a compound fracture of his leg in a Monday Night Football game, considered to be one of the worst and most horrifying injuries ever shown on live TV.
- The episode was dedicated to Kevin Curran who passed away on October 25th, 1 week before this episode aired.
- A Strupo poster is seen. (“The War of Art“)
- A Royalty Valhalla poster is seen. (“A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again“)
- Kirk’s mentioned to have gone to Gudger College again. (“A Milhouse Divided“)
- Clancy Wiggins is seen at the game at the beginning. (“Sky Police“)
- The place of some of the people at the town meeting change between scenes.
- There are 12 kids at the Lacrosse team, but Field Lacrosse, the one being played in the episode, has a 10 player limit per team.
Previous Episode: Trust but Clarify
Next Episode: Havana Wild Weekend
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!