The secod episode of the year of The Simpsons is here, and it’s the first part of a special one, for this Sunday, January 15th, 2017, Fox aired “The Great Phatsby”, the first ever 1 hour episode of the show, and we’re analyzing the first part, 12th episode of Season 28 and the 608th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episodes with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
For Part Two please click here!
The Great Phatsby: Part One
Mr. Burns tries to relive his glory days, and crosses paths with a mysterious music mogul. After being conned by him and reduced to bankruptcy, Mr. Burns seeks revenge on the music producer with the help of Homer, Bart, rapper Jazzy James and the mogul‘s ex-wife, Praline. Also, Lisa is courted by the richest kid in town, Smithers begins a perilous journey and Marge opens an obscure boutique store.
Episode Details: ‘The Great Phatsby Part One’ is the 12th episode of Season 28 as well as the 608th episode of The Simpsons. The episodes aired on FOX on January 15th, 2017. It was written by Dan Greaney and directed by Chris Clements and Matt Selman and Al Jean as show runner.
Mr. Burns is reminescing his youth, while recieving a double shot of fresh blood, and to relive part of it, Smithers plans a party at his Summer Mansion, but Burns cheaps it out, and sends Smithers to Canada to bring some leak ice.
Smithers brings Homer some invitations so he can invite some people to the party, and he brings them to the parking lot of the Try-N-Save. The bus that’s going to take them to the mansion goes on the road, with Homer, Marge, Maggie, Bart, Lisa, Moe, Sideshow Mel, Patty, Selma, Dr. Hibbert, Bernice Hibbert, Luann, Kirk, Chief Wiggum, Sarah Wiggum, Agnes and Skinner.
Arriving at the mansion, however, they find out that Burns cheaped out, and the party is so boring, and they leave. While Smithers is having some trouble on a raft in Canada, Homer consoles Burns at the pier, when they spot a party right across at a Mansion, so they cross over with a boat, with Burns inciting Homer with a whip.
Meanwhile, Marge, Lisa, Bart and Maggie visit the city and go to an ice cream shop, where Lisa meets Blake, a rich kid that wants to hang out with her and she agrees to meet him, while Bart meets Jazzy James.
Jay G brings Homer and Burns on his private plane and gives Burns a special credit card for his spendings, meanwhile Blake and Lisa do whalewatching, but Blake’s brutal means to bring the whale near the boat makes Lisa positively furious.
Jay G invites Burns, with Homer tagging along, to buy a lot of stuff for really high prices, and slowly empties out his bank account, while the rest of the family meets Blake again at a horse show, who spent his money on a protest for horse justice, but another boy offers her grooming time with the horses and she accepts, dumping Blake.
In Canada, Smithers‘ misadventures continues, when trying to answer Burns‘ call, he breaks his phone and loses his gloves, but Burns soon finds out his trouble are worse, as his car is declined, as he is broke. Repossessors comes to his mansion to retrieve all his high expensive belongings, while Homer shows him that Jay G was the one that conned him to bankruptcy, and he is reduced in crying after finding it out, as he hit rock bottom.
- The title of the episode is a parody of The Great Gatsby.
- On one of the invitations, the people invited are Mr. and Mrs. Popeye T. Sailorman, a reference to Popeye The Sailor Man and his girlfriend Olive Oyl.
- Mega Stuff is a cheap version of Oreo.
- Homer references Rick Ross and Betsy Ross.
- The Laudanum B is a reference to the Laudanum, a tincture of opium containing approximately 10% powdered opium by weight.
- Charles Barkley tells Mr. Burns he is still better than Shaq, referencing Shaquille O’Neal.
- The Golden Goose Brake Pads box has Lil Wayne on it.
- Jay G mentions Hufflepuff and Slytherin, from Harry Potter, in a song.
- “BlackLake” Investments is a parody of BlackRock, the world’s largest asset management company.
- Dr. Dres Without Borders is a reference to rapper Dr. Dre and to Doctors Without Borders, an international humanitarian non-governmental organization.
- This is the first two-part episode since the Season 6 and 7 episode “Who Shot Mr. Burns?“.
- In the same TV season, two months early, Family Guy had a episode where they reenacted The Great Gatsby in the episode “High School English”.
- The episode started fifteen minutes late due to the NFL game finishing late.
- A Hamptons joke where Blake took Lisa to a club that only had bottle service, Ketchup bottle service, was cut.
“We had to cut a Hamptons joke where Blake took Lisa to a club that only had bottle service. Ketchup bottle service.” (Matt Selman on a removed Tweet)
- Smithers tells Burns that they have some “single donor plasma”, but the blood in the cabinet is red whole blood. Plasma is pale yellow.
- Keegan-Michael Key as Jazzy James
Special Guest Teasers
What Is A Special?
Previous Episode: Pork and Burns
Next Episode: The Great Phatsby: Part Two
That is all from the first part of this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!
This pictures and videos are from the “The Great Phatsby: Part One” and “The Great Phatsby: Part Two” episodes of FOX show The Simpsons. Their use is believed to qualify as fair use under United States copyright law.