The third episode of the year of The Simpsons, before a break till February 12th, is here, and it’s the second part of a special one, for this Sunday, January 15th, 2017, Fox aired “The Great Phatsby”, the first ever 1 hour episode of the show, and we’re analyzing the second part, 13th episode of Season 28 and the 609th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episodes with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
For Part One please click here!
The Great Phatsby: Part Two
After being conned by Jay G and reduced to bankruptcy, Mr. Burns seeks revenge on the music producer with the help of Homer, Bart, rapper Jazzy James and the mogul’s ex-wife, Praline. Also, Smithers continues its perilous journey and Marge opens an obscure boutique store.
Episode Details: ‘The Great Phatsby Part Two’ is the 13th episode of Season 28 as well as the 609th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on January 15th, 2017. It was written by Dan Greaney and Matt Selman and directed by Timothy Bailey and Matt Selman and Al Jean as show runner.
Golden Goose Repo Co., Jay G‘s company, with the removal of Burns‘ possessions, while Homer stands by his side, when Burns‘ possies takes off as well, and when Jay G arrives, he takes away the Hounds, priving Burns of those, too. Meanwhile, Smithers‘ misadventures continues as, ala Luke Skywalker, he comes out of a horse’s corpse and continues forth trying to bring home some ice for Burns.
Marge informs Homer that he needs to keep working at the Power Plant and he has to support the Simpson family‘s “Peppermints and pussy willows store”. Homer returns back to Springfield, to work at the now Jay G‘s Power Plant, remodeled by him, feeding his golden goose Burns‘ fishes.
Jay G makes Homer remove all of Burns stuff in the trapdoor, and offers him cobblers, but feeling remorse for his betrayal, goes to the Springfield Cemetery, and finds himself attracted to the Burns Family Mausoleum, where he helps Burns trying to find a way to get revenge on Jay G. Bart comes over and they form a plan, to destroy Jay G‘s reputation.
With the help of Milhouse Homer and Burns find out that Jazzy James is the man they need, and record the revenge rap, and to iron matters out, Praline, Jay G‘s ex-wife, brings in Snoop Dogg, RZA and Common.
But at the concert to ruin Jay G, he appears and reveals he bought Jazzy James and the others with money, but at the family shop Burns hatches a new plan, while Marge sells the shop since they don’t have the money to sustain it anymore.
Burns steals Jay G‘s golden goose to bring down his empire, and have cooked it, but Homer comes out with the goose ruining the plan. On pursuing the goose, Burns and Jay G hang on the chandelier, where Jay G reveals he hatched his plan due to the words Burns wrote in his book and the desire to become ruthless like him.
The chandelier breaks, but they’re saved by Smithers and the Canadians which helped him bring the ice, now simple snow, to Jay G’s Mansion. On the way back to Springfield, the family wonders if this experience changed Burns, and the scene cuts to the Power Plant, where rap music starts playing, but seeing the reaction of the workers, Burns changes his mind on keeping this going.
The Empire music producer Jim Beanz created the songs for the episode.
- The title of the episode is a parody of The Great Gatsby.
- Smithers stuffing himself in the dead horse is a reference to Luke Skywalker‘s head inside the Tauntuan’s body in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
- Milhouse posters:
- A painting of the SS Normandie is present in the shop Marge opens.
- Marge and Homer reference Francis Scott Fitzgerald.
- The name “Jazzy James” is a pun on the american outlaw “Jesse James” (and it’s pronounced quite similar).
- Mr. Burns references Cthulhu.
- This is the first two-part episode since the Season 6 and 7 episode “Who Shot Mr. Burns?“.
- In the same TV season, two months early, Family Guy had a episode where they reenacted The Great Gatsby in the episode “High School English”.
- The episode started fifteen minutes late due to the NFL game finishing late.
- In Springfield Cemetery, Homer and Mr. Burns visit Burns Family Mausoleum. (“Treehouse of Horror XII“)
- A part of Burns‘ hair turns yellow for a second.
- Taraji P. Henson as Praline
- Keegan-Michael Key as Jazzy James
- Snoop Dogg as Himself
- RZA as Himself
- Common as Himself
Special Guest Teasers
What Is a Special?
Previous Episode: The Great Phatsby: Part One
Next Episode: Fatzcarraldo
The show will come back on February 12th.
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!
This pictures and videos are from the “The Great Phatsby: Part One” and “The Great Phatsby: Part Two” episodes of FOX show The Simpsons. Their use is believed to qualify as fair use under United States copyright law.