The Simpsons continues as this Sunday, February 19th, 2017, Fox aired “The Cad and the Hat”, the 15th episode of Season 28 and the 611th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episodes with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
The Cad and the Hat
Episode Details: ‘The Cad and the Hat’ is the 15th episode of Season 28 as well as the 611th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on February 19th, 2017. It was written by Ron Zimmerman and directed by Steven Dean Moore with Al Jean as show runner.
TITLE SCREEN!: Abraham Lincoln and George Washington are flying toward each other on hot-air balloons with Vote Lincoln and Vote Washington on them, and they collide with each other exploding the hot-air balloons.
The family arrives at the couch, but Homer notices the sail boat painting has disappeared. Bart suggests another animated show stole it. Homer walks on the set of South Park and The California Raisins but can’t find it, and booes the raisins, but in the fight that follows a fire starts, he escapes through a door to find that the Nerd from Robot Chicken, who is watching a video of the previous Robot Chicken couch gag, bought it from Bart on a bid. Homer, while the Nerd rambles on, steals the painting and leaves a paper one, and runs through the stages back home, killing the South Park characters too, announcing he did retrieve it, only to find the family replaced it, and Marge swears her disappointment.
Bart and Lisa tell the story of a time when they didn’t get along. The story starts at the Springfield Bay, where Mayor Quimby declares the waters are safe to swim in them, but just because he lowered the safety standards. After the ceremony, the Simpsons go to the bay and have fun with Homer‘s sleeping head. They then go to Sunblock Sam’s, where Lisa buys a new hat, which she names “Sunny”. Bart buys a water-resistant tattoo, but finds out it is not water-resistant as he enters the water.
Homer and Marge go to watch the sports area, and Homer reveals he is an expert at playing chess, after having played with his father when he was young. Going back home, Homer stops at Krusty Burger. While he was ordering, Bart tosses Lisa‘s hat to a parking lot. However, that night he’s visited by his guilt. It kills the other spirit, denial, and throws it out of the window.
Meanwhile, Lisa discovers she lost her hat and goes on a search for it around the house. She goes to the Police Station and checks the hats found, but none is hers. Back at the bay, she asks Shauna, the owner of Sunblock Sam’s, if she has more yellow hats, but she doesn’t.
Bart’s guilt keeps pestering Bart and growing due to his lack of guilt. In the morning, Marge, informed by Lisa during the night, asks Bart about the hat but he says he doesn’t know anything. Meanwhile, at Moe’s Tavern, Homer is successful once again at chess, and Moe asks him more, so Homer tells him how he become an expert at chess, won his father, and the latter didn’t want to play with him anymore.
Back at home, Bart watches The Itchy & Scratchy Show episode titled “The Garfield Assassination“, and his guilt bothers him again for the hat, so Bart decides to tell Lisa what he did and asks for forgiveness, but Lisa doesn’t forgive him.
At Barney’s Bowlarama, Moe reveals to Homer that chess represents his desire to kill his father, while Bart tries to retrieve the hat. It was still intact before the crusher crushes it with Gil‘s car (and house). Homer throws the chess pieces to the fire, but Marge Skypes Magnus Carlsen, who tells him that he needs to play the last match with his father.
At the Springfield Dump, Bart manages to retrieve the hat from Gil‘s car with the help of Rod and Todd, by melting it in a bath of Buzz Cola. Homer has his match with his father but understands that the latter is more important than a victory and resigns.
Bart takes the hat back to Lisa but she still doesn’t want to forgive him. He leaves the hat on her desk, and her guilt visits her, convincing her to forgive him. Bart’s guilt tries to leave the plane of existence, but gets funnily hit by a plane, and falls into the cooling towers of the Power Plant and turns into a monster, to Mr. Burns‘ please. Homer finds out that they reconciled, but he meets his demons.
Lisa concludes the story saying that even Bart has a conscience, and Nelson hits him in the arm for it, and tells Lisa that her gaffer is hitting on his mother. Homer is then seen skyping with Magnus Carlsen but Magnus closes the call, for Homer has bothered him too much.
The couch gag was designed by Frank Gehry.
- The title of the episode is a reference to the children’s book The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss, first published in 1957.
- Killing Nemo is a reference to the movie Finding Nemo.
- On Bart‘s game, the Wilhelm Scream is heard.
- When Lisa tries on her hat, the song “Wouldn’t It Be Nice” by the Beach Boys plays.
- Donald Trump appears and is transformed into a troll by Lisa on a unicorn.
- Homer performs chess positions by Mikhail Botvinnik and Paul Morphy.
- Marge mentions Madaline and the book series.
- The book Masters of Checks is a reference to Masters of Sex.
- The book Boogie Knights – Chess in the disco era is a reference to the movie Boogie Nights.
- A book called Why can’t black move first appears, written by Malcolm X.
- Bart offers Lisa compact discs of The poems of Emily Dickinson read by Elizabeth Warren.
- Homer and Magnus Carlsen mention playing Stratego.
- A man enters Moe’s Tavern, asking if someone wants to watch the Super Bowl.
- Homer and the people at Moe’s Tavern use Skype to talk with Magnus Carlsen.
- One of the forms of Bart’s guilt looks like Hugo Simpson. (“Treehouse of Horror VII“)
- A license plate with Bort written on it appears in the shop. (“Itchy & Scratchy Land“)
- Homer’s car gets towed by Louie‘s towing truck. (“Midnight Towboy“)
COUCH GAG FACTS!:
- This is the second couch gag done in the style of Robot Chicken, after the one in The Fabulous Faker Boy.
- The city and the characters from South Park appear.
- The California Raisins appear.
- When Homer bites one of The California Raisins, the bite sound from The Flintstones is heard.
- This is the second consecutive couch gag in which the sail boat painting is involved. The previous one had Maggie hidden inside the safe behind it.
THE ITCHY & SCRATCHY EPISODE!:
“The Garfield Assassination” is an episode of The Itchy & Scratchy Show.
BEHIND THE LAUGHTER:
SPECIAL GUEST STARS!:
Previous Episode: Fatzcarraldo
Next Episode: Kamp Krustier
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!