The Simpsons’ Season 29 continues, as this Sunday, January 14th, 2018, Fox aired “Frink Gets Testy”, the 11th episode of Season 29 and the 629th episode to date. This Episode Fact File will recap the episodes with pictures, video clips and more. Get the scoop right after the jump!
Frink Gets Testy
Episode Details: ‘Frink Gets Testy’ is the 11th episode of Season 29 as well as the 629th episode of The Simpsons. The episode aired on FOX on January 14th, 2018. It was written by Dan Vebber and directed by Chris Clements.
BILLBOARD TEXT!: Moe’s Tavern now with ladies room
BLACKBOARD TEXT!: Homer writes “Strangling is not an effective parenting tool”
The Simpson family are watching The Learning Network, when Nostradamus: The Man Who Saw the Future, comes on and Orson Welles says that Nostradamus‘ predictions have all come true, excepet one for World War III, scaring Mr. Burns who asks Smithers to bring the comforting hounds. He rounds up Springfield‘s greatest minds, at the Mensa meeting, to create The Montgomery Burns Doomsday Ark, and fill it with smart people.
To select the people to get on the ark they suggest an IQ test, but Professor Frink proposes the Personal Value Quotient, or P.V.Q. They organize a mandatory citywide test at the Springfield Convention Center. 6 weeks later, the results are in, and Ralph gets one more point than Lisa, while Bart gets only 1 point.
When Orson appears in Burns’ dream, he speeds up the process of the ark’s production. While Lisa follows Ralph and studies him, Homer, Marge and Maggie go to Professor Frink to confront him on Bart’s test, finding out the test was Homer’s, due to his hand-writing.
After he tweets about it, Homer tries to go to many places but his stupidity is shown in his face everywhere, including Moe’s Tavern, so Marge tries to help him out, while Lisa follows Ralph to the construction site. Since Lisa finds flaws in the test, Frink makes her happier by giving her 10 more points.
At the end, Homer manages to do it, presenting Marge love letters written in a good hand-writing, while Burns flies out on his ark alone, getting strangled by a robot.
- Lisa is seen reading The Girl with the Rub-On Tattoo, a parody of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.
- The Learning Network is a reference to the blog of The New York Times with the same name.
- Nukes of Hazard is a reference to The Dukes of Hazzard.
- Jesus Christ Superstorm is a reference to Jesus Christ Superstar.
- Nostradamus: The Man Who Saw the Future is a reference to The Man Who Saw Tomorrow.
- “Shortly after the anti-Christ becomes president” is likely referring to Donald Trump.
- Tri-ominoes are a reference to Hasbro‘s Triominos.
- The people of Springfield Mensa recite all the words of the United States Declaration of Independence in alphabetical order.
- Dogs playing poker around the table are a depiction of the painting “A Friend in Need” from the Dogs Playing Poker series by American artist Cassius Marcellus Coolidge.
- Mr. Clean is shown by Professor Frink.
- Professor Frink shows a clip of Tonya Harding attacking Nancy Kerrigan with a pipe. This is a reference to the attack on Nancy Kerrigan by a man hired by Harding’s ex-husband.
- Homer tweets his test results.
- Noah Baumbach‘s Brooklyn Bound is shown in theater.
- Nut Job 3: The Squirreling is shown in theater, a reference to the 2019 sequel of The Nut Job and The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature.
- Shakespeare in the Park and Sesame Street on ice are shown.
- Jeopardy! is shown at Moe’s Tavern.
- Marge mentions the Scarecrow and The Wizard of Oz.
- Wiggum mentions Swee’Pea and Mr. Magoo, and Lou mentions Sylvester the Cat.
- Lisa listens to The Righteous Brothers‘s Unchained Melody, after Marge and Homer do a scene similar to the movie Ghost‘s.
- Homer writes the names Erik Estrada, John Hancock, Coca Cola and Jebus H Christ, Esquire, mispelling Jesus H. Christ, who appears by his side giving him a thumbs up, with Jebus written on his clothes.
- Among things thrown at Professor Frink:
- Agnes Skinner flies across the title screen as a pterodactyl. (“Homer’s Evolution couch gag“)
- Mensa reunites again and Manjula is now a member. (“They Saved Lisa’s Brain“)
- Another version of the Dogs playing poker painting is shown. (“Treehouse of Horror IV“)
- Jennifer Clarkeson appears. (“A Test Before Trying“)
- Homer calling Jesus Christ “Jebus” is a reference to when he said “Save me, Jebus”. (“Missionary: Impossible“)
- Lisa‘s sandals are missing in the second scene.
- The juxtaposition in the semi-circular shadow on the wall between the two scenes changes.
Previous Episode: Haw-Haw Land
Next Episode: Homer Is Where the Art Isn’t
That is all from this week’s Episode Fact File and I would like to thank WikiSimpsons for the information for this post and Nathan for the base design of it.
TSTOTopix: Episode Fact File: Season 29 and 30: What We Know So Far!
(Part 1: 2015) (Part 2: 2016 #1) (Part 3: 2016 #2) (Part 4: 2016 #3) (Part 5: 2016 #4-2017 #1) (Part 6: 2017 #2) (Part 7: 2017 #3) (Part 8: 2017 #4 and 2018 #1) (Part 9: 2018 #2
Till next time, Happy Tapping everyone!